About Me

My photo
I'm a happily married mom of 3! I recently rejoined the work force after 8 years of being a SAHM. Now I'm REALLY trying to figure it out. Finding my balance w/ my family, my job, housework, school stuff, extra stuff, and maintain some sort of social life.. Nearly impossible.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Health and Weight Update

Not much time kids :) My son has his first ever program at school tonight!! I can't wait!
I went to see the surgeon today. His office totally creeped me out, but he himself seemed nice. He said that it sounds like my gallbladder, but the ultrasound the hospital did wasn't as clear as he would like it to be. He said that he could go ahead and take my gallbladder now, but w/o knowing for sure, I could show up in a few months totally pissed b/c I was having the same problem. To find out for sure, he wants me to have a HIDA scan done. I'm not exactly sure if that's similar to an ultrasound, or if they put me in a tube. I have to go in on Friday, and they'll inject some stuff thru an IV that will light up my gallbladder and liver, and all of the ducts in there. They should be able to see what's happening in there. If I have a stone, which is what it looked like from the fuzzy pictures, then I have no choice but to remove it. If its not a stone, it could be that I just had an attack. From there we could decide to do more testing to figure out exactly what it was, or wait to see if it happens again, blah blah blah. I'm freaked out by this whole scan process! Eek! I'm not a fan of needles, at all. I cry when I have to get blood drawn. Not b/c it hurts, just b/c I have a phobia that I've had all my life. And IV's are the devil for me! I HATE THEM. And I generally get some asshole nurse who totally mutilates me within minutes. I'm going to go and have the stinking thing done, but I'm not happy about it. I don't want to. At all. Ever. And now, what if it isn't a stone? What if its something else? And do I really want to know what that is? That's the illogical side of my brain that lives on paranoia, but geez. Can you feel me? Yikes. Thanks everyone for your comments, and sharing your experience w/ me. That really helps, and made me feel better. Have any of you had this HIDA scan thing before? If so, please tell me if its a tube thing, and if it hurts. I would rather know. Doctor said that it might hurt, it could cause my gallbladder to spasm. But then he followed it w/ or it might not. Do you think doc's have to take a course of being fabulously vague? I bet they do. Crafty guys.
And I weighed in today. I lost another 3 pounds. Grand total for those in my cheering section- 23! I asked the doc if he thought that is what brought it on, he said sure, that happens often, and good job on the weight loss. Hmmm. So ok. Maybe that's what did it, but I guess it isn't a bad thing, b/c he didn't say anything else about it. We shall see what Friday brings. Of course I won't get results until the following Friday, but at least the hard part will be over! Have a good night!

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh yuck. I heard those are super painful. I'm so sorry.

I thought that if you have a stone you can't pass...then sometimes they can 'blast' it using some sort of sound thing. I don't know.

mistyblue3 said...

linny- wow! Never heard of blasting, but that doesn't sound like the most plesant solution either. And nothing hurts now. It only did on the night that I went to the hospital. I should ask about blasting :)

Chicken said...

Yes I think that is part of being a doctor, you must be as vague as possible about everything. I have learned that recently. I am hoping this was just a one time thing, and you will not have to give up your precious gall bladder. That dye thing is pretty cool, from what I have been told.

mrs. awesome said...

well, coming from a medical family...doctors will never admit this publicly, but basically they are as vague as they can be. the goal is to give just the facts, and let the patient do all the worrying.

hopefully this won't be too painful and will give you some answers/solutions.

congrats on the big 23!

Distant Timbers Echo said...

My wife did have a scan done. It was not much trouble at all. They did the ultrasound thing with them if I remember right.

But they told her that her stones, more like gravel, would not be taken out. Instead they gave her something, some kind of medicine that actually destroyed them from the inside! It was odd.

Anyway, I hope it goes well for you. Prayers, girl!