About Me

My photo
I'm a happily married mom of 3! I recently rejoined the work force after 8 years of being a SAHM. Now I'm REALLY trying to figure it out. Finding my balance w/ my family, my job, housework, school stuff, extra stuff, and maintain some sort of social life.. Nearly impossible.

Friday, April 28, 2006

My midnight hospital adventure.

Wed. night I woke up just before 2am w/ terrible pain! I couldn't figure out what it was. I walked around for awhile, got a glass of water.. Nothing helped, and it continued to get worse. I called the doctor, b/c I started to worry that I was having a heart attack. I could feel it from just under my boobs, down to the bottom of my ribs, and all the way across into my back. My doctor told me I should go to the ER. I woke hubs up and told him something was wrong. He wanted to call his parents to come over and sit w/ the kids, so he could take me. There is a med center right down the street from us, so I told him that I didn't want to wake anyone up, not knowing what it was, and I'll only be down the street, so if it is something serious, I'll call you and you can come down. I hate the idea of waking people up in the middle of the night. I got to the med center, and of course it was closed! Bah! I didn't know they had changed the hours. But, since I was already in the car, I didn't want to drive back home, get hubs up, and wait for his parents, so I had the very bright idea to drive myself. Halfway to the hospital, I realized that was a stupid idea! The pain was so intense I thought I was going to pass out. I just drove faster, praying I'd make it w/o passing out. When I got there, I could hardly walk, hardly talk, all I could do was cry. I have NEVER felt like that before, ever. It hurt more than labor. They didn't want to give me anything for pain until I talked to the 28 different people about where it was, and what my symptoms were, and what I was doing earlier that evening. Why don't they just take notes and pass them on? Seems retarded to leave me dying on the table while they all ask the same stupid questions! The pain was really weird. It'd kind of settle down into a dull ache, and then waves of intense pain would overwhelm me, until I threw up. There is nothing more humiliating than puking into a bucket, crying, and having 3-5 strangers standing around staring at you. After some blood work, and an ultrasound, they found that my gallbladder was to blame. I have an infection, and a stone. After they figured out what was causing it, they gave me some medicine to stop the vomiting, and a pain killer that was 8 times more powerful than morphine. Yikes! But it did the trick. It didn't make me feel floaty or loopy, but just sleepy. I can deal w/ sleepy, just not anything else. I have to see a surgeon on Tuesday to talk about removing it. Since then, I've been fine, no pain or weird stomach issues. Thank God! I don't ever want to experience that again. EVER. I was doing some research online today, and do you know what one of the causes of gallbladder disease is?? Rapid weight loss. Holy shit. That's the only thing that I've done differently the last few months, and I've never had any problems up to this point. I suppose I could fit the others as well, but that's the one that jumped out at me. The others are all F's. Fat, Female, Fertile, and Fourty. I fit the first 3, but not the last. And as for Fat, I'm currently 18 pds overweight, so I don't know if that makes a difference now, or if this is something that happens over time. Not sure on that, but you can bet your ass that I'm going to have a few things to say to my weight loss place. I thought that I've been healthy about this, and smart. They are nutritionists! They should warn you about losing too quickly. Here I am patting myself on the back, but what if I just screwed something up forever? Its very possible that I'll be having one of my organs removed. Irritating! I'll keep y'all updated on what I find out. Have a good weekend!

11 comments:

aughra said...

It might not be the wieght loss, though. I had problems years ago, with mine, but it was from being on the pill and drinking too much. Don't do any of those now...


Good luck.

Chicken said...

I hope it gets better. I am sure it wasn't the diets fault. I mean maybe it just cut out all of the things that your body had a hard time breaking down before. And when you went back to it, it kind of shocked it, you know. And if those things are hurting your body somehow, then maybe you need to change your diet to help it. Does that make sense?

Avery's mom said...

wow! I'll keep you in my prayers about this whole surgery thing. thats got to be a little nerve racking I'm sure. Hope you arent in too much discomfort and that its a simple issue to take care of.
HUGS to you

Keith said...

Debbi had the same problem last year and our friend just had her gallbladder removed recently. Hope everything turns out well - we're thinking of you.

mrs. awesome said...

that sounds horrible...pain worse than labor? that is some serious pain girlfriend! hope they get you all taken care of. :)

BabyMakes4 said...

that's terrible! i hope it all gets better soon. i can't imagine anything worse than labor. at least in labor they give you pain medicine right away.

mistyblue3 said...

Thanks guys! I appreciate your thoughts :) And I'm not suffering over here, at all. Ever since I came home from the hospital, I've felt perfectly normal. Aughra- did you have yours removed??
keith- now that debbi's is gone, how has it affected her?

Keith said...

Heart palpitations are gone as well as the chronic heartburn. Both babies have enlarged gall bladders according to the sonograms, but the doctors aren't worried. They think the babies are compensating for whatever Debbi's gall bladder is lacking.

CaliGirl said...

how did your meeting go with the doctor? when are you going to have surgery?

Distant Timbers Echo said...

MISTY, My wife went through the very same thing! It was late at night, she was pregnant with our li'l one and she was hit by that very same pain! I knew what it was when I read those first words on your post, it was so similar!

We went to the ER also, and just like you they gave her the hem and haw. They didn't even admit her for three hours. She was crying, screaming when the waves hit and I was banging on the triage nurse's station demanding that she get seen.

The worst of all of it is NOT KNOWING what it was.

Frickin' gall bladders.

---===---
On a happy note, I'm glad to see you again! I am dropping everything I'm doing and putting your link up on my blog right now!

mistyblue3 said...

keith- that's really interesting, about the babies g.b. Amazing how our bodies, or the bodies of those we carry, make up for what we lack.

cali- I emailed you :)

Jas- did your wife have hers removed? while preggos? And, did they do an ultrasound or this hida scan crap?