About Me

My photo
I'm a happily married mom of 3! I recently rejoined the work force after 8 years of being a SAHM. Now I'm REALLY trying to figure it out. Finding my balance w/ my family, my job, housework, school stuff, extra stuff, and maintain some sort of social life.. Nearly impossible.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Whose Your Daddy?

Yesterday, my life suddenly became a Jerry Springer episode. My dad is Tom, who has a fraternal twin, Tim. My mom's best friend had a baby, 25 years ago, Dweller, by Tim. Which makes Dweller my cousin. Tim has always refused to have anything at all to do wither her. A blood test was done to determine paternity 15 years ago, saying that Tim was 90% something dwellers dad. Even still, he's refused to have anything to do with her. We never knew why until yesterday. He firmly, whole heartedly believes that Tom (my dad), Not him, fathered dweller. Being that they are twins, even though not identical, there is a possiblity that it could be true. It may just be, that the gal I've always loved and known as my cousin, is in fact, my sister. This came from my Uncle Tim. Dweller and I made phone calls to our moms yesterday, and other family members to try to get a better idea of a time line, and whom was where when she was concieved. The time line also agrees that Tom should be her dad. BUT, being as they are not identical, it is only a small possibilty. We went to my dad's last night to ask him about it. Awkward. I just came right out with it. "Dad, is it possible that YOU, not Uncle Tim, is Dwellers dad?" He looked surprised, but his answer was more surprising. "Yeah, it's possible." Hmmm. He agreed to have a DNA test done, to find out once and for all if it is Tim, or Tom. Now we have to go about figuring out how to get one done, and how to come up with the money for it. They run from 500-800$. I always wondered why my dad and his twin hated each other. ding ding ding. That's why. My goodness. I wonder what will happen next. Dweller's ok w/ the new information. She's always known my dad, and loved him. I think it makes her feel better, b/c my dad has been around her all of her life. Tim's ignored her from the get go. She's never seen him in person, ever. I wonder though, if it turns out that it isn't my dad, but def. Tim, if he'd change his heart. If he would finally accept her. I would hope so. My guess is that it will still be Tim. Trying to pry family history, and information from our parents from 25 years ago is like pulling teeth. Sounds like they were a crazy bunch, and all interdating. Twins, bestfriends. Geez. Who cares? I certainly do not. I feel like we're missing pieces, that there are things they are holding back from us, b/c of certain situations. I'm not going to judge them, and neither would Dweller, it's just time to know the truth.

I was going to tell you about all about my fantastic weekend, but I can't think of anything other than this sister/cousin issue. I want to get it resolved as quickly as possible. I'll keep you updated, if and when things start to move.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, lots of drama! will it seem strange if you find out dweller is your sister?

Distant Timbers Echo said...

Well, that's uh...

Oh...kay!

You have my prayers honeygirl!

mistyblue3 said...

babymakes3- kind of, but not for my sake, for hers. She never been given her rightful place. we've always been close, and been more like sisters anyway. But for her, it would have been nice for her to know where she belongs.

Jas- yep, totally weird. Those things don't happen in my family. Or at least they didn't.

Keith said...

I can't wait to hear how this turns out. Maybe the single best blog post I've ever read!