About Me

My photo
I'm a happily married mom of 3! I recently rejoined the work force after 8 years of being a SAHM. Now I'm REALLY trying to figure it out. Finding my balance w/ my family, my job, housework, school stuff, extra stuff, and maintain some sort of social life.. Nearly impossible.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Penetrate...

Penetrate...

Yep, that's right. That's what that says. Penetrate. So, last week, I'm sitting on the computer checking my email, and my kids are down here with me, watching shark week. You know, on the discovery channel?? They're really into that right now, planet earth, man vs. wild, they love it. So, I'm not really paying any attention, and all of a sudden, Max, my 7yr old, says "hey mom, what's penetrate mean?" I did one of those cough/choke/giggle things. Nervous giggle problem here. Anyway, trying not to give in to the panic I feel starting to swell, "Um, uh, well, how was the word used Max?" He says " one shark is pene-trating the other one" I glanced at the tv, and sure enough, the sharks are humping. Oh crap. I started to sweat. He's 7! What do I say! WHAT DO I SAY?!! I ran away. Stepped out to have a smoke. Broke out in hives. Giggled some more. Cripe! Called a girl friend for advice... My rule is that I always answer them honestly, as best as I can, at thier level... I don't lie. I try not to be shy about using proper terms, but geez! This is hard sometimes! I thought that maybe if I didn't answer him, he'd just forget. But then, it could and prlly would come out at a completely inappropriate time, like a family get together, a friends bday party, church... Better just to handle it. I'm so retarded folks. I hope I don't scar them for life. So, I came back downstairs, and brought it back up to Max, "uh, that word penetrate, it ummm.. well.. it's kind of weird. sort of like.. uh, planting a flower.... there's a boy shark, and a girl shark, and uh, the girl shark, has the flower, or the seed, let's say, and the boy shark, he has the water... so, he has to get together w/the girl shark, and water the flower, so that's what penetrate means, or what the sharks are doing." And he stares at me like I'm a flipping idiot. He just says "um.. ok mom, yeah, I get it, kind of" and I ran away again. I could have just given him the websters definition "to enter" but then he'd prlly ask what in the world one shark would enter another with and why, and it would have come out anyway..... ugh. terrible. The hives eventually subsided, but I still get the shivers when I think about it. Creeps me out. I don't like this getting older business... Silly little guy...

No comments: