About Me

My photo
I'm a happily married mom of 3! I recently rejoined the work force after 8 years of being a SAHM. Now I'm REALLY trying to figure it out. Finding my balance w/ my family, my job, housework, school stuff, extra stuff, and maintain some sort of social life.. Nearly impossible.

Monday, August 15, 2005

SAHM's

I was reading The Odd Wife's blog earlier, and for some reason, I can't comment on it which I find extremely annoying, so I decided just to post my comments here on my blog. Anyway, seems there have been some discussions of career moms vs. stay at home moms. TOW is a career mom and made a comment on another blog about how SAHM's have the dream life that she would like to have, and how we have it made. I do agree, we do have it made. I'm greatful and thankful that my hubs and I can live on one salary. Its hard sometimes, and we cut alot of corners but its worth it. Even if I did choose to work, I would only be working to have my 3 kids in daycare. Do you guys know what it costs to put 3 kids in daycare?? Its more than a mortgage payment. I think all moms have had this discussion. It can go either way. One of my career mom friend had said something to me along the lines of "What DO you do all day? Don't you sit around watching soaps all day?" I WISH. Not at all. This has become a crazy full time job for me. I have very little time to sit during a day. And even if I do sit, I generally have 3 kids hanging off of me. There is no alone time, or sick days, ever. Just before the birth of our first child, we decided that I would quit my job. It was a really hard decision for me. I loved my job! But I didn't want someone else to raise my baby. At first, to be honest, it SUCKED! I HATED IT. It was so hard. I was used to being w/ people all day, doing something important, getting pats on the back. And then I was alone w/ this little guy, I thought I was doing everything wrong, I was alone all the time, my hubs was working really long hours, and I completely forgot how to manage my time. I was also suffering from postpartum depression. But then I found a moms group, and it saved me. I began to really enjoy my baby. Then I had another, and another. And though there are some days that are really really hard, I know I'm fourtante, and wouldn't want to change it for the world. I thought that as my kids got older, that things would be less busy for me. Not true at all. I think the older they get, the busier it gets. They get more activites, and there are endless oppurtunitys for me to get involved with. Its a different world here. Hubs and I get into it on occasion b/c he thinks that he works harder than I do, which physically he does. But emtionally, and mentally I think my job is harder. The entire responsibility of the household rests on me. If I don't cook, no one eats. If I don't do the laundry, nothing is clean. If I don't give the kids a bath, they stay dirty. We moms have very difficult jobs as well, and a little appreciation goes along way. Still, I love staying at home w/ my kids, and I would not change it. I think all mothers, if they have the oppurtunity, should stay home. After you get used to it, there's nothing better.

9 comments:

mistyblue3 said...

You my friend, are the best ever. Thanks J.A.

Red said...

Staying home and caring for your home and children is undoubtedly a hard career in itself. There are no days off, but the rewards far beat anything I can accomplish at my job.

When I write of wishing I could step into that life, I do so knowing full well it doesn't entail sitting around and eating bon bons through General Hospital.

I was really lucky to work from home until my daughter started Kindergarten. A little different since it's like a full time office job in your living room, but better still. I'd give anything to be back there again. I worry endlessly about all my daughter is missing out on while I do everything I can to keep our budget managed.

spin said...

Staying home with kids is much harder than having a career. Some days I wish I could just get up and go to work for 8 hours, instead of staying home with my kids. But...as hard as it is, it's worth it. I'd like to invite all those people who ask what SAHM's do all day to try my life for a day.

mistyblue3 said...

The Odd Wife-
The rewards are fantastic! We all do what we can to make life work. You can't feel guility about that. My mother worked 2 jobs for a long time when I was little, and I didn't grow up thinking I had missed out. When I got older, I really appreciatied my mom for that. And since I've had my own kids.. I thinking working moms should recive some sort of metal. I have a hard enough time managing my household and I don't work outside the home. I don't think I could pull it off if I did. Don't worry about your daughter missing out, sounds like she has plenty of what's most important. She's loved. Good job mama.

The Anti-Wife said...

I have been on both sides of the fence, and I agree that being a SAHM is 100% more demanding, but the work is personally rewarding. There were times I thought I would go nucking futs because I had no adult interaction. My neighborhood was full of SAHMs, but these women were not my "type" so it made it more lonely. So...I started my own freelance graphics/promotions business. I did this part-time and had a sitter watch my kids while I worked. As I took in more clients, I had to turn to daycare. Before I knew it, I was back at square one: me working fulltime (even though I was at home) and my kids in daycare. I conceded I was not meant to be a SAHM; however, I have nothing be respect for those of you who do have it. Kudos to you, Misty.

-Kellie

P.S. You kids are BEYOND gorgeous!

mistyblue3 said...

spin-
I hear ya! The career mom that I talked about, she just had another baby, and is now staying home. You should hear her bitch about how hard it is. Ha! Even though she is at home w/ the new baby, she still sends her older kid to daycare 3 days a week. She can't hang. It does make me smile though.. Now she gets it.

mistyblue3 said...

Thanks Kelli!

Awesome that you started your own business. The sahm's in my neighborhood are also some what snobby. Which is why I went for a moms group. I think sah gets a lot easier w/ a support group of some sort. kudos to you as well :)And I think they're kinda cute too!

misty

DH said...

We made the same decision re: the wife staying home. I think I have the same sentiments your husband does sometimes, but I don't verbalize them and know I probably should.

I know she does have busy days, but I get the sense that she thinks because I work from home I'm not working that hard.

I will say that I completely understand the "no time off" feelings you have. For our anniversary, since money was tight, instead of giving her a really big gift, I gave her something smaller and also gave her two of my sick days that I have. She really seemed to appreciate that.

Just my $.02.

mistyblue3 said...

dh,
Our hubby's need to know that they are respected and appreciated as well. I would LOVE love LOVE a couple sick days. I'm sure she did appreciate it, that's a great idea. I know my hubs works hard, and I could improve on how often I tell him that. I bet your wife could too :)